April 3, 2011

Welcome

 I'm starting a blog!

Mostly the reason for this is that I like writing, and being in the habit of writing regularly. I write whatever comes to mind, things in my life, stories, essays, you name it. Another reason is that I like to make people laugh, or smile, or improve their day in any small way possible. It has often been the case that someone else's writing and stories have cheered me up on my bad days, and made my good days better. Maybe with some practice I can hope to do the same for you. The other reason for starting a blog is that I like knowing what other people think, and what they have to say about the things I think. I like reading my friends' stories, and know what's going on in their lives. It occurred to me that perhaps other people might be interested in the things I think about too.

For those of you who agree, and are still reading, be warned. My mind is not a pretty place. Anyone with whom I have shared my dreams would agree, I am sure (probably while wearing an incredulous, slightly terrified expression and backing away slowly). My thoughts are varied, at times sincere, angry, humorous, satirical, appreciative, speculative, and possibly even insightful (don't cross your fingers). I hope to entertain, and also to learn. That said, this blog might turn out to be a very eclectic and messy collection. Best of luck.

You might now be wondering about the title for this blog. I chose it because Nocona means wanderer in the Comanche language. If you're wondering about my own connection to the Comanche people, there is none. I am part Cherokee, and I'm pretty sure they came in very minimal contact with the Comanche, seeings how the Comanche were plains Indians and lived a nomadic lifestyle well west of the Mississippi and the Cherokee were mostly located in the east and lived a sedentary lifestyle. I came across the term Nocona years ago when I was reading a historical fiction of the Comanche (Ride the Wind by Lucia St. Clair Robson). Peta Nocona was the name of one of the characters, a real man who was once chief of the Noconis, or Wanderers, a Comanche tribe. If you really want to know more, I recommend the Wikipedia article, but suffice to say he was pretty badass. Anyway the name stuck with me. Perhaps I liked the ring of it. Perhaps I have always felt myself somewhat of a wanderer, in my interests, my thoughts, my travels, and mostly in the restless feeling I get whenever I have been in one place, or done one thing, for too long. When I tried to think of a title for this blog, the word came back to me, and I thought it appropriate. This indeed will be a collection of my own wanderings in thought and action.

I would also like it to be known that in close second as a title came "Indigo Moose." If you greatly prefer Indigo Moose, you can thank Brian, whose mind may indeed be more bizarre than my own, though I doubt it. But since I decided not to go that route, please feel free to utilize my second place title Indigo Moose however you choose. Perhaps as a name for your band, or for your dog, or possibly even a pet name for your sweetie, if you're into that.

So if you have interest in knowing me, or how I think, and what I like to think about, and perhaps have some thoughts you would like to share, then be welcome, and enjoy. I would love to hear your opinions, suggestions, and thoughts as well.

2 comments:

  1. YAY Melanie blog!
    I love reading friends' blogs, and I will name the owl next to my computer Indigo Moose.
    Oh, Look! You're already changing my life for the better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha awesome. I am glad I can provide some form of inspiration ;)

    ReplyDelete