1. Sink Into Connection - In dancing, you communicate with your partner via your connection. You can’t avoid it, ignore it, or skirt away from it. A depth of connection is crucial to good partner dancing. Connections are just as important in life. You need to develop your connections with people and things you like. Delve into them and discover their intricacies. Don’t be satisfied with what’s on the surface.
2. You Need Balance - This is how you stay on your feet in dancing, and how you stay happy in life. It isn’t easy, and it isn’t obvious how to do this. But as you keep dancing, and living, you will develop this ability. Focus on it.
3. Everything Comes From Your Core - I can’t tell you how to do this, you just have to try it. Your dancing, both leading and following, should originate from your center, and extend outward. In life, pursue those things you hold in your center. Your passions come from your core. Make those your life.
4. Experiment With Footwork - The only way to come up with cool footwork variations is to try dozens, then keep doing the ones that worked well, and try to avoid those that didn’t. In life, there are many different series of steps you can take to accomplish anything. Try many, and you’ll find out which study habits you need, what methods are good for your business, which techniques you need to revise well.
5. Complete Your Movement (Follow Through) - In dance one of the hardest obstacles to get over is self-consciousness. We cut our movements short, because when we do something small, even if it’s wrong, it isn’t noticeable. But neither is your good move. Good moves can’t be great if they’re only done halfway. In life also you need to follow through to be noticed. Don’t give up, or leave projects unfinished. Quality necessitates persistence.
So, since these hold true for most dances, and since I've been dancing since I was really little, these aren't things I've realized in dancing as much as things that feel like I've always known. However, reading through these, I was continually reminded about music. Because these, especially 1-3 and 5, are what people tell you when you're learning music as well! And yeah, I know the point is that they are life skills in general, but I just think comparing what you said to learning how to play music is super cool.
ReplyDelete