I am currently working on developing a habit of healthy(er) eating. In an effort to hold myself accountable, I have decided to share some of my progress (and lack thereof) for further incentive.
Healthy eating involves a few things. The most important changes are eating mindfully and cooking lots. Additionally, I am taking slow steps to become entirely vegetarian, and later vegan. I've been vegetarian before, so it's not super scary. (If you're interested in why, you can start here: http://www.britishmeat.com/49.htm, or just ask).
Some of you may be shocked at this proclamation. You may be thinking, "Melanie?! She doesn't have a domestic bone in her body! That poor girl must be suffering from scurvy by now." Or, "Melanie?! Give up ice cream?! Impossible!" Or quite possibly, uncontrollable laughter.
I can't blame you for such reactions. Cooking is a skill I have only recently tackled. Up until now, my most adventurous cooking experiments included cookie dough or pasta.
This weekend I decided to cook a cornucopia of at least semi-healthful foods. My attempts: Coconut curry with cauliflower and potato, fried plantains, and naan. I have compiled a list of tips I learned.
Tip 1: Do not turn your back on anything. Especially plantains. Otherwise, your once beautiful golden-brown plantain slices may take on a black hue. They are not salvageable. Don't taste them. The taste of charred fruit and disappointment cannot be untasted.
Tip 2: Give your dough time to rise. Your recipe may say it only takes an hour. It is lying. Prepare your dough at least four to eight hours in advance. Likely, this will mean starting at perhaps 10AM, rather than 5PM, unless you prefer to make your bread at midnight.
Tip 3: Cook your naan bread. Heating it lightly is not sufficient. Day-old gooey dough is not quite as delectable as warm naan.
Tip 4: Despite my poor track record, you should still try out this curry. It is pretty delicious, if you're into coconut curry.
Melanie's Coconut Curry with Cauliflower and Potatoes
1 onion
1-2 tablespoons Olive Oil
Fresh Ginger (as much as you can stand - say 2 square inches), diced
4 potatoes (or three or five) cut into half inch cubes
1 head cauliflower cut into florets
Some kale (or carrots, or spinach, or other veggie you like. Squash might work well.)
Enough Water
1-2 cups Coconut milk
Lots of Curry powder (1-2 tablespoons perhaps)
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional ingredients include some cinnamon, other spices you love in curry, raisins, and sliced almonds.
In a large saucepan, heat up olive oil. Add diced onion and cook for a few minutes. Add diced ginger, and cook a little longer. Add spices you like, then immediately add potatoes and cauliflower. (You can wait to add the cauliflower - it cooks a little faster than the potatoes. Add enough water to just cover everything. Simmer for a while, maybe 30 minutes, until potatoes are nearly cooked through. This is a great time to taste and add salt as needed, or more curry powder, possibly a dash of cinnamon. If you like spiciness, I would highly encourage some good peppers. Add kale (or spinach; if you choose carrots, add a little earlier so they get cooked through). Add 1-2 cups coconut milk and simmer for another three minutes. Serve over rice or with naan (or both!).
Variations: Add raisins and almonds at the end. If you like thicker curry, take out a cup of liquid from your curry, dissolve in some cornstarch, then add back to your curry. You can add the coconut milk early on, but be careful to simmer gently.
No comments:
Post a Comment